High Strain Rate VHS Systems
High Speed Testing up to 25 m/s
Instron High Strain Rate VHS testing system is a high-speed machine that is capable of testing materials from quasi-static to high-strain rates of up to 1000/s (specimen dependent), offering unparalleled coverage. From composites and metals, including high strength alloys to more compliant polymer materials, there is a configuration that is right for your material and application. With our tensile gripping solutions, your specimen will be tested when the target speed is reached and not during the acceleration process. Our carefully chosen stroke options will ensure that there is enough workable stroke to allow for the acceleration and deceleration of the piston, leaving enough stroke for the testing of the specimen. Our standard VHS machines go up to 20 m/s, allowing great flexibility in designing the test and specimen that will suit most applications. There is also an option to configure the VHS 65/80 actuator up to a market leading 25 m/s for applications where even higher strain rates are needed to perform the desired tests.
- High-stiffness frame with a 2-column or 4-column design, the actuator is positioned in crosshead for versatility in setting up accessories for tension and compression testing
- VHS 35 (stall force in kN)/50 (maximum impact load in kN) – 20 (maximum velocity in m/s) with a nominal actuator stroke of 600 mm (24 in) for more compliant specimens such as seatbelt material and cords
- VHS 40 (stall force in kN)/50 (maximum impact load in kN) – 20 (maximum velocity in m/s), typically for polymers
- VHS 65 (stall force in kN)/80 (maximum impact load in kN) – 20 (maximum velocity in m/s), most versatile that can test plastics, composites, and metals
- Optional configuration for VHS 65/80 of test speeds at 25 m/s
- VHS 160 (stall force in kN)/100 (maximum impact load in kN) – 20 (maximum velocity in m/s), typically used for composites, metals, and high strength alloys
- A nominal actuator stroke of 300 mm (12 in) on VHS40/50-20, VHS65/80-20, VHS65/80-25, and VHS160/100-20, which will provide enough available test stroke for their applications
- Versatile and highly configurable test space with T-Slot table and threaded fixture holes for accessory mounting
- Electronically interlocked protective enclosure with ergonomic access to test space and facility for DIC integration
- Dedicated 8 channels with high-sample rate, high-speed data acquisition, and processing software with an integrated trigger for camera (DIC) support
- Instron tensile gripping solutions including fast jaw grips and lost motion grips to suit most tensile applications with a wide range of other accessories that will suit your application, including compression platens, and puncture probes
Controller and Software
Instron VHS Testing System is supplied with a custom-made VHS8800 controller package with Instron HighRate Software to provide a fully integrated experience and unique profiling capability. The VHS8800 controller is suitable for a wide range of applications and complex velocity profiles, offering high rate data acquisition, and the software provides statistical analysis and powerful tools for quick post-processing modeling. Optional DIC systems provide an extra layer of data and can be fully integrated with the VHS testing system, offering a complete testing capability.