ASTM D903-98(2010) Adhesive Bonds, Peel or Stripping Strength
ASTM D903 is used to measure the peel, or stripping, strength of bonded materials to either flexible or rigid substrates. The adhesive materials are cut into 1 x 12 in specimens and peeled away from the substrate at a 180° angle. This standard is used across a wide variety of applications—ranging from plastic films to waterproofing. The test results in a peel strength, generally presented in an average load divided by the specimen width.
The challenges of testing to this standard are:
- Reporting calculations in compliance with the test standard
- Data rate used to capture peaks and troughs
- Gripping materials of varying thickness
- Eliminating slippage throughout the test
- Reporting calculations in compliance with the standard – The Bluehill© Universal Adhesives Applications Module comes with pre-configured test methods and supporting documentation to ensure that you are testing according to ASTM D903
- Data rate used to capture peaks and troughs – Instron’s 5900 series frames enables data capture of up to 2.5 kHz to ensure that all fast changing test events are captured. Too low of a bandwith may “dull” the system and lead to missed peaks and troughs, resulting in lower average strength values
- Gripping materials of varying thickness – Testing a thin adherend to a thick substrate may result in a misaligned specimen in the load string. The advanced screw action grips can be adjusted to offset this effect, ensuring that the specimen is centered in the load string
- Eliminating slippage throughout the test – The advanced screw action grips employ a patented “quick-change” jaw face design which enables operators to easily change jaw faces to accommodate the needs of their materials. Pneumatic grips can also be used for thinner substrates which are able to maintain consistent gripping pressure throughout the test
It is important to review ASTM D903-98(2010) in order to fully understand the test setup, procedure, and results requirements.
5900 Universal Testing Systems are engineered for precision, built for durability, and offer the flexibility for changing requirements. They are designed with standard and optional features that increase testing efficiency and improve the testing experience for the operator. A wide range of models are available for testing capacities from < 100N up to 600kN.
- 2.8 MB
Catálogo do Bluehill Universal em PT-BR
- 2.6 MB
Screw side-action grips provide a very simple and efficient method for holding test specimens in a wide range of applications. The dual - acting design of 2710-100 series grips means that jaw faces can be adjusted to accommodate different specimen thicknesses. This ensures that the line of tensile force remains concentric with the grip body. They can be equipped with a selection of interchangeable grip jaw faces in various sizes and choice of surfaces including smooth ground, rubber-coated and serrated. Line contact and special coated faces are also available.The unique ‘snap-on’ jaw face attachment makes changing faces extremely quick and simple.
- 1.3 MB
Instron® 2712-04x Series Pneumatic grips, packed with features to enhance gripping performance, usability, and operator safety.
- 1.7 MB